I’m excited! I just received Whatnick’s ATM90E26 FeatherWing that I ordered on Tindie. I got this while I wait for the ones I ordered from Crowd Supply. I guess I got a bit order happy. I wanted to support Tisham’s work.
By the Way – I ran across Tisham’s discussion of his work at the Adalaide Maker Faire. It helped give me perspective.
Spoiler alert – It works great.
The goal of this post is to run the Arduino sketch provided by WhatNick on a Feather Huzzah with the ATM90E26 FeatherWing and get expected results for the readings. I will use the UART option to communicate between the Huzzah and the ATM90 based on this comment made on WhatNick’s Tindie page: The ATM90E26 has the flexibility to be accessed both over SPI and UART. However the SPI mode it supports is only Mode 3, which is an unsupported mode of the ESP8266 Arduino stack. So I ported my ATM90E26 Arduino interface code over to UART mode with CRC check and everything after a few days of head scratching.
The Arduino sketch I will run is ATM90E26_UART.ino found at this GitHub location.
Thanks To Those That Went Before
- To Whatnick for building the ATM90 FeatherWing and writing a very simple to use library for reading/writing to it’s registers using the Arduino IDE. So far I am very impressed with the quality of work. From the choice of components, PCB material, soldering, and design. What a delight. A HUGE THANK YOU to Tisham. Without Tisham’s help, I would not have been successful. THANK YOU. Oh – and THANK YOU.
- To Home Depot for carrying just what I need for my DIY projects (except the stuff I need from Adafruit…By the Way – can the two of you merge?) – ESPECIALLY FOR KEN. Ken used to head an electronics shop with 1,000’s of employees. He works in the electronics section of Home Depot several mornings. Ken is EXTREMELY knowledgable, helpful, and has stories/no stuff that is just interesting to listen to. So much so that Home Depot is my favorite place to go.
- Feather Huzzah. This has become my go-to for IoT projects. My auto gardening system uses one.
- ATM90E26 FeatherWing.
- An SCT-013-000 (data sheet) CT. I talked about my choice for Current Transformers in a previous post.
- I had bought a 9V AC-AC Power Supply adapter from OEM. One challenge
- Kill A Watt – for comparison current and voltage measurements. I’ve used this many times.
- Current Clamp – another tool to compare readings. This works in the same way the CT works.
In order to test the ATM90 with the clamp, I made a line splitter. With this little beauty of a tool, I can check the current use of any device. I don’t have to go to the breaker box and muck about and mess up the electricity in a way that bothers other family members.
Making the line splitter was fun/simple.
- 1’ green, white, black 14AWG wire $.23 * 3 = $.69
- 3 wire female plug $2.79
- 3 wire male plug $3.29
Adjusting the Gain
Before I can start accurately measuring voltage and current, I need to calibrate by setting the UGain and IgainL. This is discussed in section 22.214.171.124 (p. 14) of Atmel’s M90E26 app note. Since I don’t know what I am doing, I asked Tisham about this. His reply:
- There are some videos that may be helpful (yes they are). If I remember correctly, the first video was great at showing what values Tisham got when running test code. He also mentions Ugain and Igain.
- Do not use the calculation for Ugain that is in the app note. Rather: new_Ugain = existing_Ugain * (expected_Voltage/current_Voltage)
- calculate new_gain, update register, then make sure to update checksum 2. If checksum 2 is not updated, the results are bad.
- After the voltage is calibrated you can use a purely resistive load with known power usage or another meter to calibrate the current gain. The value already in the script should be pretty close.
- new_Igain = existing_Igain * (expected_power / current_Power)
new_Ugain = existing_Ugain * (expected_Voltage/current_Voltage)
- existing_Ugain is set in energyic_UART.cpp (,Ugain,);
- expected_Voltage was measured at 124.5V
- current_Voltage = 192.93. I got this value from running ATM90E26_UART.ino:
Update Checksum 2
After changing the Ugain setting in energyic_UART.cpp to 0x890F, I reran the Arduino sketch. Checksum 2 will be off, but as the data sheet points out: The readout value of the CS2 register is the calculation by the M90E26…
The library already writes out the values for the checksums and lets me know if there is an error. There is indeed an error for Checksum 2. The new value for Checksum 2 that I read: 0x428C. I modified this line in energyic_UART.cpp from
CommEnergyIC(0,CSTwo,0xD294); //Write CSTwo, as self calculated
CommEnergyIC(0,CSTwo,0x428C); //Write CSTwo, as self calculated
Check Voltage Reading
Here are the results I got after running the Arduino sketch;
The voltage I measured was 124.5V. The voltage I’m getting back from the ATM90 is 123.6V. My thoughts:
- The reading I am getting back from the ATM90 is “close enough” to the reading I get from the Kill-A-Watt and multimeter.
- The calculations will not be precise.
- At this point, I’m not spending any time evolving my knowledge of the amount of error.
I compared current readings from several devices. The current measurements – for the ATM90 compared with the clamp were the same, if not extremely close. For this reason, I am not adjusting the IgainL.
hmmm… this works for one cable…but I have two: